Canada-Chicago Mentoring Program (C2MP)
February 8, 2017 :: Chicago, Illinois
Are you a Canadian innovator and entrepreneur in life sciences/healthcare?
Do you have a product or technology you would like to showcase?
Are you seeking mentoring and guidance to advance your innovation?
If you answered “Yes!” to any of these questions, then we are looking for you!
The Trade Commissioner Service in partnership with the province of Ontario and the Chicago Innovation Mentors (CIM) is putting together a tailor-made mentoring program focused on life sciences and healthcare innovators working in the three following sub-sectors: pharmaceuticals; health IT; and medical devices.
C2MP catalyzes technology commercialization opportunities in the Chicago area by matching experienced and supportive mentoring teams with early stage innovators.
With this renewal, the Consulate General of Canada in Chicago is continuing to raise Canada’s life sciences profile. With your help, we would like to recruit highly qualified innovative Canadian companies to take part in our third Canada-Chicago Mentoring Program. The selection of the three companies will be done by the Consulate and CIM's key mentors. We would like to underline that the objectives of the program are to provide strategic guidance and to gain the right tools and knowledge to penetrate this market. The program is not aimed at providing sales leads to the companies but focuses on the analysis of the Canadian companies’ business models & US strategy.
The program will be in three parts:
Part 1: Orientation to the program (January 2017)
- Participating in a webinar with the Consulate and CIM to go over the details of the mentoring program
Part 2: Day of Acceleration (February 8, 2017)
- Participating in a morning program organized by the Trade Commissioner Service
- Pitching and showcasing the technology during the Chicago Innovation Mentor monthly meeting
- Meeting potential mentors and networking with key Chicago contacts in the life sciences industry
- Gaining insights on the characteristics of the Chicago market that can improve chances to success
Part 3: Six Month Mentoring Program (Mid-February to Mid-August 2017)
- Being matched with a team of 3 to 5 mentors (companies will be assigned a lead mentor)
- Engaging the team of mentors to analyze and refine business plans.
- Getting access for free to MATTER, Chicago’s top tier healthcare incubator, its workspace, its network and all of its educational programing
- Part of the mentoring will be done virtually (emails, conference calls, video conferences)
- In addition to the first meeting planned for February 8, the Consulate will push for one meeting a month: 4 meetings will be done by conference call or video conference and 2 will be face-to-face with the mentoring team (we encourage companies to come to market once a month if possible, but applicants need to commit to at least 2 face-to-face meetings).
- Canadian small enterprise with a potential for high growth
- Proprietary technology
- A business plan
- Initial traction in the marketplace
- Looking for mentoring & be prepared for critique of business plan & strategy for market access
- Successful in securing funds – from investors, grants, or sales to customers
- Resources to visit the market three times to meet with the mentoring team
How to apply?
If you are interested in participating in the program (click here for details), please contact Alexis Roy (firstname.lastname@example.org or 312-327-3631) or Chantal Glass (email@example.com or 312-327-33626) to receive the application form. Space is limited to three Canadian companies; all applicants will be qualified by a vetting committee.
Deadline: Completed forms must be received by November 23, 2016 to be considered.